Lead Engineer Solihull // // PermanentJob ref:JO0012711
Position: Lead Engineer based in West Midlands
Main Function / Purpose of Job
Determines and drives the most appropriate design and engineering solution for system/ module.
Ensuring that all product /APQP requirements are covered.
Controls the engineering design activity assuring most appropriate application of both direct and contract design resources towards IAC internal & customer requirements, quality, time, feasibility and cost effective product design outcome.
Liaises with the tooling specialists to ensure that the product design is tooling/plant robust for the vehicle life
Assures active participation of his engineering teams in the Product Development Team process.
Scope of role:
• Design according customer styling, technical requirements and specifications.
• Design for assembly.
• Design for manufacture.
• Quality functional deployment.
• Finite element analysis data.
• Dimensional variation analysis (In conjunction with DVA specialist).
• Support Tool Timing in conjunction with the tooling group.
• Responsible for the engineering elements of customer part approval (PPAP).
• Support all tool trials & tool sign off
• Ensuring together with development team (PM, design, tooling, quality, testing, launch, purchasing, sales) that the process is robust prior to tool shipment.
• Determine and apply the most appropriate and cost effective solutions.
• Provide for design resolution as an extension of and in cooperation with the customer engineering team.
• Assures a flawless introduction for New Product Introduction (NPI) position as defined in IAC’s GDLS .
• For model year changes, the Lead Engineer shall support the customer in terms of product development and participate in the plant PDT meetings to ensure that the “Key Elements” of the APQP gate process are completed.
• Support cost estimates in relation to product and process changes, and liaise with Operations, sales, PM to ensure all recoverable costs are specified in the quotation.
• Customer liaison & management
• Support VAVE activities
• Support Program RFQ’s
Preferred Education & Experiences to fulfil role (essential & desirable)
• Bachelor and/or Diploma degree in automotive, plastics engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent job related experience
• years related experience, preferably in automotive interior design.
• Cradle to grave project experience including process and tool maturation and program launch.
• Experience in surface development desirable.
• Conversant with major CAD systems applicable to automotive design.
• Demonstrated excellent management and interpersonal skills.
• In-depth knowledge of company product and manufacturing processes.
• Working knowledge of job-related technical skills: GD&T, DFM, DFA, CAE/FEA, CAD, FMEA, DVP&R.
• Fluent English
• Flexible to support projects at various locations in Europe.