Product Engineer Solihull // // PermanentJob Reference:J0012702
Job Title: Product Engineer
• We are currently supporting the OEM in for multiple Interiors Commodities for some new vehicles through the Virtual design gateways through to eventual manufacture and assembly phases pending successful nomination from the OEM.
As a Product Engineer you will be part of a core team of Engineers and Designers tasked with the Design / Development and integration of the Interior commodities, supported by an infrastructure of specialists from areas such as Tooling / Process / Validation / Program Management.
You will develop the commodity through the virtual phases to the agreed program timing and achieve on time tooling kick off with a fully validated, compliant and optimised design.
Particular focus will be on weight / cost / complexity reduction whilst maximising craftsmanship and quality feel.
Key to your success will be liaising with the OEM and our internal teams to ensure customer concurrence and team feasibility ahead of tooling kick off.
You will be responsible for managing your own time and planning the necessary activities / meetings to deliver the project within the budgeted hours.
Candidate must be flexible and willing to support project requirements at various locations throughout the duration of the project. They must accept that at peak times e.g. launch, key pre-production builds) significant levels of short-notice travel may be required (UK and Europe)
• Engineering Degree, 2:1 or equivalent
• Minimum 3 Years in Product Engineering role within Automotive Interiors, specifying and developing new parts
• Tier 1 or 2 experience preferred in A-surface components, kinematic parts, injection mouldings and post wrapped parts.
• Knowledge of design of Pillars, Headliners, Luggage Trim or Door Casings would be advantageous.
• In-depth knowledge of automotive manufacturing processes and testing/ Validation standards
• Working knowledge of role-related technical skills: GD&T, DFM/DFA, CAE/FEA, CAD, FMEA, DVP&R.
• Experience of working with Directed Source Suppliers (DSS)
• Experience in generation of design concepts and surface development desirable.
• Full ownership of the design / development and delivery of the product concept through to PSW.
• DFMEA construction
• Master section definition
• Location & Fixing strategy,
• Defining assembly sequence
• Incorporate internal / external design requirements & specifications.
• Be fully accountable for all issues that are design/engineering–related.
• Demonstrate full ownership of product attributes
• Escalate roadblocks and issues as required to Lead Engineer
• Be data-driven in all aspects of product design and problem-solving
• Design according customer styling, technical requirements and specifications.
• Liaise continually with internal and external customers, foster a “no-surprises” approach to product launch
• Pictorial Bill of Material generation
• Support VAVE activities
• Support cost estimates in relation to product and process changes, and liaise with Operations, Sales, PM to ensure all recoverable costs are specified in the quotation.
• Determine and apply the most appropriate and cost-effective solutions.
• Control product through formal Engineering changes
• Design for Manufacture
• Design for Assembly
• Awareness of CFD & CAE
• Keep comprehensive records and minutes to ensure any cost liability discussion is backed by appropriate evidence
• Recruitment Consultant Gary Masser
• Tel: 02476446940