Trim Develoment Engineer // // PermanentJob Reference: J0012701
Job Title: Trim Development Engineer
Main Function / Purpose of Job
• Working within a highly skilled team of Engineers for design, development and manufacture of Automotive Interior Products and complex assemblies.
• The ideal candidate will have experience of supporting the Product Engineering and Commercial team with all tailored product development from initial studio surface release into design/concept and through to mass production.
• In addition to new product development the teams experience is used extensively to support our plants with practical problem solving and training.
• The position will require experience of working hands on with leather/ette process/equipment, surface feasibility for wrapping. Pattern development and an eye for process innovation with a clear commercial awareness and best in class mentality are essential.
• Lead feasibility studies of new tailored products and the associated processes, be able to demonstrate best in class practices for cost effective coverstock utilisation/yield, grey book generation, design feasibility, application equipment, interaction with internal teams, customer and suppliers of secondary equipment manufacturers, materials supplier, lead/support process maturation (including product testing) and customer liaison.
• Possess in depth knowledge of leather/ette materials and their process behaviour.
• Input to continuous improvement/lean activities on current tailored product within the company Group.
• Identifying alternative product design/development to support competitive tendering for new automotive projects, commercial advantage and/or adaption to support existing capital equipment.
• Clear understanding and able to apply DFMEA/PFMEA logic to identify and manage risk/feasibility.
• Naturally have a team “can do” approach.
• Travel within UK, Mainland EU and potentially Asia and the America’s to support global activity, benchmarking and customers with global platforms.
• Have excellent communication skills to be able to harness task requirements, investigate and report back in the appropriate manor clearly, (feasibility, costing, risks, financial implications, alternatives, SWOT with clear recommendations)
• Support/ Lead established and new processes with a data driven approach.
Preferred Education & Experiences to fulfil role (essential & desirable)
• Minimum 5 years experience in the automotive industry, with in a suitably / substantially sized regional or global organisation. Ideally with JLR or Ford Programmes and interior trim products.
• Good working knowledge / understanding industry standards & related procedures inc:
APQP PPAP TS16949
• Working experience and understanding of CAD data
• Sufficient verbal and written language skills associated to the company and the programme / project and operational locations.
• Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the customer and within the company
• Adaptability in the location of work including business travel
• Flexibility to change priorities in response to changing programme / project demands
• Have the ability to present information in a concise and tangible manor suitable for the recipient.
• Foreign languages an advantage.
• Clean driving licence and flexibility to be able to travel with business needs
• Recruitment Consultant Gary Masser
• Tel: 02476446940